History of Incheon

Incheon & Port-opening

In 1883, the 20th year under the reign of King Gojong of Joseon, Inchoen was opened to foreign trade and Gamriseo (監理署) was established in Jemulpo.

Then, it became customary for “Gamri” to take the responsibility for Incheon busa (仁川府使 = current mayor of Incheon). In 1895, the 32nd year under the reign of King Gojong, the eight “do” system was abolished and the nation was integrated in the system of 23 “bu” and 331 “gun” with Gwanchalsa in bu.
However, Incheon was incorporated into Gyeonggi-do later, and Gamriseo was revived. When Gamriseo was abolished again in 1906, the 10th year of King Gwangmu, Incheon buyun took charge of Gamri tasks. In 1910, when the country lost its sovereignty and the Japanese Government General of Korea was established, Incheon-bu was limited to Geahangjang (Port-opening place) and the other areas were incorporated into Bupyeong-gun, to newly establish Bucheon-gun.

Bucheon is the name created by combining the first part of Bupyeong and the second part of Incheon.
After that, with the 1st Bu-area expansion in 1936 and the 2nd Bu-area expansion completed, most of the areas of Bupyeong-gun, Juan-myeon, and Munhak-myeon were incorporated into Bu-area of Incheon-bu. After national independence, Incheon-bu was elevated to Incheon-si, in August 15, 1949. In March 1967, provincial office system was implemented. On July 1, 1981, it was elevated to Jilhalsi. In 1989, it annexed Gyeyang-myeon, Yongyu-myeon, and Youngjong-myeon. On January 1, 1995, it was elevated to a metropolitan city.